Alexey Leon Quintet "Cuban Connection"



Hi everyone, my name is Alexey León, I am jazz saxophonist and composer, Cuban and Russian born in Manzanillo, Cuba. I studied saxophone at the Gnesin  Music Academy in Moscow.In 2012 I came to Spain to study a Master in Contemporary Music at Berklee school of music, Valencia Campus thanks to the scholarship of Michel Camilo Fundation. I studied with great teachers like Perico Sambeat and Alain Perez among others.
 My life so far has been an exciting journey, the places where I have lived are incredibly different, each gave me something unique and helped me to get where I am now.
From Manzanillo, a small town in the eastern part of Cuba, where I was born to Moscow, Russia where I studied or to Barcelona and Valencia in Spain.

Now almost ten years after putting together my first quintet, I am playing and recording with the Cuban musicians that were my references many years ago.
My quintet performance during our tour in Malaga, Spain. featuring Ivan "Melon" Lewis, Carlos Sarduy, Dany Noel, Dani Dominguez.
  In this album I'm lucky to gather exceptional musicians such as Iván "Melón" Lewis on piano, Carlos Sarduy on trumpet, Frank Durand on drums, Dany Noel on electric bass.
The music is very melodic, I wrote it for my quintet having in mind a very special sound based on the Afro-Cuban rhythmic tradition, improvisation and the language of contemporary jazz. Each composition is inspired by an experience that has left me marked - people, moments, places, etc.
Playing with these musicians is like experiencing an exciting adventure, music has a lot of energy, each melody sounds different every time, and I can not wait to see where the music will take us the day we record in the studio!
We have an incredible group of people who help us produce this album. We have our sound guru, maestro Pablo Shuller (who is part of the Berklee School, Valencia) amazing jazz photographer Antonio Porcar, Antonio Sánchez video, not to mention my great friend Max Moya who gave me the final impulse to start the Campaign and is helping me prepare the presentation of the album, and we have distributors that will help us to the album to the world.
Everything is budgeted and we have agreed with all parties, so your money will be in good hands if you decide to support this project. We are very excited about it, and we can not wait to get this record out in the world!
Español
¡Para mis amigos!
Hola a tod@s,
  Como algunos ya sabéis he decidido dar un paso adelante y hacer mi segundo álbum. Es una colección de música que he escrito para mi quinteto teniendo en mente un sonido muy especial basado en la tradición rítmica afro-cubana, la improvisación y el lenguaje del jazz contemporáneo.
Ahora casi diez años después de reunir mi primer quinteto, estoy tocando y grabando con los músicos cubanos que eran mis referencias entonces. Mi vida hasta ahora ha sido un viaje emocionante, los lugares donde he vivido son increíblemente diferentes, cada uno me dio algo único y me ayudó a llegar donde estoy ahora.
Desde Manzanillo, una pequeña ciudad en Oriente, Cuba, donde nací hasta Moscú, Rusia donde estudié o Barcelona y Valencia en España donde vivo ahora. Cada composición está inspirada en una experiencia que me ha dejado marcado - personas, música, momentos o lugares.
En este disco tengo la suerte de reunir a músicos excepcionales como Iván "Melón" Lewis en el piano, Carlos Sarduy en la trompeta, Frank Durand en la batería, Dany Noel en el bajo eléctrico y también músicos invitados especiales.
Tocar con ellos es como vivir una aventura excitante, la música tiene muchísima energía, cada melodía suena diferente cada vez, y no puedo esperar a ver dónde nos llevará la música el día que grabemos en el estudio!
Tenemos un increíble grupo de personas que nos ayudan a producir este disco. Tenemos a nuestro gurú de sonido, maestro Pablo Shuller (que forma parte de la escuela Berklee, Valencia) increíble fotógrafo de jazz Antonio Porcar, Antonio Sánchez video, por no mencionar a mi gran amigo Max Moya que me dio el impulso final para iniciar la campaña y me está ayudando a preparar la presentación del álbum, y tenemos distribuidores que nos ayudarán a que el álbum salga al mundo.
Todo está presupuestado y nos hemos puesto de acuerdo con todas las partes, por lo que su dinero estará en buenas manos si decide respaldar este proyecto. Estamos muy emocionados por ello, y no podemos esperar para conseguir que este disco salga al mundo!
¿COMO AYUDARME?
Para ayudarnos a conseguirlo puedes hacer una donación en la columna de la derecha de esta página.
Hay dos opciones:
1. Donas la cantidad que tu consideres.
2. Eliges alguna recompensa de la columna de la derecha.
También nos  puedes ayudar mucho compartiendo esto en facebook, twiter, instagram, cóntandoselo a amigos que les pueda gustar el proyecto.
MUCHAS GRACIAS POR VUESTRO APOYO

Riesgos y desafíos

Risks and challenges
We are recording in Milenia Studios, Valencia, with an amazing engineer Pablo Shuller who is now part of Berklee faculty, one challenge is that we might need an extra day in the studio. The band is rehearsed already, and we played two tours in Spain with this new repertoire.
To put your mind at ease, I am fully committed to funding any extra costs required to complete this project if necessary.
Overall, I think I have calculated well the timing to send all the rewards out.
The email to contact me in case of any lack of information would be alexeyleonreyes@gmail.com. My Spanish phone number would be (+34) 667328707, in case anyone would want direct contact to pursue deliveries.
Thank you! Alexey